The Riverside Superior Court is seeking qualified citizens interested in serving as a civil grand juror for the time period July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2020.
Civil Grand Jurors investigate the inner workings of public agencies and publish reports with their findings and recommendations for improvement.
California law provides for the use of grand juries in each county. This page includes reports from the civil grand jury in Riverside County, which has an oversight function into the operations of county and municipal governments. The civil grand jury is distinct from criminal grand juries, which can be used to consider evidence and bring indictments in criminal investigations.
Those interested in serving as a grand juror must have the following qualifications:
- Citizen of the United States;
- 18 years of age or older;
- Resident of Riverside County for at least one year prior to July 1, 2019;
- Be of sound judgment and fair character;
- Possess sufficient knowledge of the English language; and
- Be able to attend hearings and meetings three to five days a week.
In addition, applicants cannot:
- Currently be serving as a trial juror in any court in California;
- Have been discharged as a grand juror within the previous year;
- Be serving as an elected public official; and
- Have been convicted of malfeasance in office, or any felony or high crime.
Duties include, but are not limited to, investigating the operations of county government, researching matters of civic concern, and inquiring into public offenses.
A per diem fee, plus mileage is paid to cover expenses.
An online application is available on the court’s website by clicking here. Select ‘Grand Jury’ under the ‘Divisions’ tab. An application may also be requested by sending a self-addressed, stamped, business sized envelope to the Riverside Superior Court Jury Services Division at the following address:
Superior Court of California — County of Riverside, Jury Services Division, P.O. Box 400, Riverside, CA 92502
Applications must be postmarked by March 29, 2019, and should also be submitted to the above address. If you have any questions, please call 951-777-3644.