Laser show expected to leave onlookers awestruck
PALM SPRINGS — Strictly FX, which provides its services to more than 500 shows every year, including working with Roger Waters, Luke Bryan, WWE, and the Super Bowl, will provide a laser show to cap off a Fourth of July celebration that is being billed as “one of the most inclusive Fourth of July celebrations in the city’s history.”
The city is spending $22,200 for the laser show and an additional $10,000 in sound, lifts, overnight security, according to Communications Director Amy Blaisdell. The total budget for the Fourth of July festivities is $55,000.
Strictly FX is a live special effects company specializing in pyro, lasers, flames, Cryo, confetti and drones for concerts, sporting events and corporate gigs, according to the company’s Twitter account.
As you recall, the City Council voted 3-2 in May not to host a fireworks show for the Fourth of July this year. Mayor Pro Tem Lisa Middleton and Councilmembers Geoff Kors and Dennis Woods opposed the traditional fireworks show.
Opponents cited concerns about the negative impacts of fireworks on pets, veterans and people with PTSD. A fireworks spectacular has been held in the city for more than 50 years, and typically attracts 10,000 people to the Palm Springs Stadium.
Some community members said in addition to scaring animals, they were concerned that fireworks cause air and light pollution.
Strictly FX was the firm was in charge of the fireworks for the Celebrating America television special, which was part of the festivities for the Inauguration of Joe Biden. A fireworks and drone show ended the night after President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris spoke in Wilmington, Del., on Saturday Nov. 7, 2020. It included lights that spelled out “Harris, “Biden,” and “46.”
Independence Day in Palm Springs will be marked with a series of free, fun and patriotic events. It’s all part of the city’s first Fourth of July event series, being held throughout city parks – and at the Palm Springs Swim Center, culminating with a festive concert and evening laser show at Ruth Hardy Park.
Here is a rundown of the festivities planned for the city’s inaugural Fourth of July event series:
- Fourth of July Water Palooza,11 a.m. – 1 p.m., Victoria Park, 2744 N. Via Miraleste. Featuring music, water games, free hot dogs and snow cones.
- Fourth of July Family Pool Party, 3 p.m. – 9 p.m. Palm Springs Swim Center, 405 S. Pavilion Way. Featuring water games, music and great food.
- Fourth of July Independence-Fest and Movie in Sunrise Park, 3 p.m. until credits roll, Sunrise Park, 401 S. Pavilion Way. Featuring, music, games and food along with police, fire and city service vehicles for families to see live and in action. The film, “A League of Their Own,” starring Tom Hanks and Geena Davis starts at dusk.
- Fourth of July Concert and Laser Show at Ruth Hardy Park, 700 Tamarisk Road. Begins at 4 p.m. until end of laser show, which kicks off at 9:15 p.m. Featuring classic rock band DUDE Jones in concert at 6:30 p.m. along with food and games.
The city has held a family-friendly pool party at the Swim Center for the past four years, according to Blaisdell.
“This is a much loved event that residents greatly appreciate because it’s a terrific way to get out of the heat and do something fun on the Fourth of July,” Blaisdell said. “With that in mind, Parks and Recreation decided to make sure to incorporate this event into the 2021 Fourth of July activities.”
Free hotdog lunches will be available at Victoria Park to the first 150 people in attendance. Inexpensive food will be available at all other events from local food service vendors.
“The City of Palm Springs is delighted to offer a fun-filled day of terrific events that we hope everyone will enjoy as we celebrate America’s independence this Fourth of July,” said City Manager Justin Clifton. “Everyone is invited!”
To register online, click here and click on Parks and Recreation. For more information, call (760) 323-8272 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Smoke from Strictly FX show: Strictly FX
- Strictly FX Show: Strictly FX