RANCHO MIRAGE — Theatrical staged-reading group Script2Stage2Screen, which recently earned 25 nominations from Desert Theatre League, has announced the plays selected for this upcoming season:
- October 11 & 12, 2019 – “Battle of the Exes,” written and directed by Jason Hull of Palm Springs. A fast-paced comedy that contends truth is in the eyes of the beholder. This marks Hull’s 22nd year in theatre. He moved to the Coachella Valley in 2008, and has found a theatrical home with Script2Stage2Screen for nine consecutive seasons.
- Nov. 1 & 2, 2019 – “The Choice,” by Roger Wallker, Columbia, Mo. A drama not only about making a choice, but whose right it is to choose. Directed by Gina Bikales.
- Jan. 31-Feb. 1, 2020 – “Taking Care of Mimi,” by Marilynn Barner Anselmi (Rocky Mount, N.C.). A drama/mystery about the workings of the human heart; families; and greed. Directed by Gina Bikales.
- March 6 & 7, 2020 – “Intermission,” by David Hanson, of Edgewater, N.J. A humorous love story about people who seek possibilities and happy endings. Directed by Chet Cole.
- April 3 & 4, 2020 – “I’m Not Rick Springfield,” by Vicki Verde, Kansas City, Mo. A bag of laughs driven by hero worship, mistaken identity and family dysfunction. Directed by Gina Bikales.
- May 1 & 2, 2020 – “A Night in Puglia,” by David Wolgin, Palm Springs. A love story for all ages and orientations. Sensual and sweet, set in Italy. Directed by Gina Bikales.
- June 5 & 6, 2020 – “Auntie,” by Marty Martin, El Paso. Who was Auntie Mame? Could it be Marion, a lovable kook with a heart of gold? Directed by Don Cilluffo.
All staged readings take place at 7:30 p.m. at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Rancho Mirage, 72425 Via Vail. Tickets are $10.
“This season is all about families. How we create them, treat them, fight for them and sometimes do them ‘dirty,” Gina Bikales, artistic director, said in a prepared statement. “We have chosen seven fine scripts to produce – from the lightest to the darkest of life’s scenarios. We hope our audiences will find them artistic, with truthful merit in each and every one.”
Script2Stage2Screen is an innovative performing arts organization for the development of original productions on the stage. Formed in 2010 by a small group of playwrights, S2S2S started as a vehicle to premiere original plays. Since then, it has developed into a diverse performing arts organization in the Coachella Valley with the mission of highlighting social justice, families, sexual equality, the dignity of humankind, and the joy and humor of life.
To learn more, click here.
- Actor: Image by Kellie Nicholson from Pixabay