Community Celebrates Successful State Budget Collaboration
SACRAMENTO — Despite a challenging fiscal outlook, Assemblymember Eduardo Garcia, D-Coachella, said he worked in collaboration with community partners to deliver funding for district priorities through the Legislature’s state budget process.
Local budget victories include $2 million to support the expansion of the Galilee Center. The project will increase wrap-around services for families in need, farmworkers, and asylum seekers, adding 6,000 square feet of emergency shelter for farmworkers and a new administration office.
“We thank Assemblyman Eduardo Garcia for allocating this $2 million funding for our ongoing expansion projects. We are humbled to receive this award that will help our service to the underprivileged community of Mecca and the surrounding areas,” said Gloria Gomez, President and Founder of the Galilee Center.
The City of Coachella will also receive $500,000 for a Stannous Chloride Pilot Project to improve water quality.
“We are grateful to have Assemblymember Garcia as a champion for our community — securing resources for roads, parks, and affordable housing within the City of Coachella. This latest half a million dollar state investment will support vital water quality improvements,” said City of Coachella Mayor Pro Tem Neftali Galarza.
In a prepared statement, Garcia said, “In the face of a budget deficit, we had to fight harder to deliver resources for community priorities. Working in partnership with State Senator Steve Padilla and community, we have protected funding for essential programs and obtained investments to address a diverse range of district needs such as water quality, student housing, health care, emergency shelter, and more.”
Assembly District 36 budget highlights passed by Legislature awaiting signature are:
- $2 Million Galilee Center
- $1 Million DAP Health
- $500,000 City of Coachella Stannous Chloride Pilot Project
- $2.5 Million Student Housing at San Diego State University, Imperial Valley
- $3 Million City of Imperial, Imperial Corridor Safety Improvement Project
- $200,000 Comite Civico Del Valle Universidad Popular
Assembly District 36 budget highlights signed by governor are:
- $5 Million Breaking Barriers to Employment Grant
- $2 Million City of Calexico Indoor Asylum Seeker Facility
- $50 Million Salton Sea Restoration
- Assemblymember Eduardo Garcia on Assembly Floor: Assemblymember Garcia