Two California Cities Among Most Diverse Cities in America
With the U.S. needing to stamp out hatred after anti-Asian hate crimes spiked by nearly 150% in 2020, the personal-finance website WalletHub today released its report on 2021’s Most Diverse Cities in America.
To determine the places in the U.S. with the most mixed demographics, WalletHub compared the profiles of more than 500 of the largest cities across five major diversity categories: socioeconomic, cultural, economic, household and religious.
Most Diverse Cities in America
1. Houston, TX
2. Jersey City, NJ
3. New York, NY
4. Dallas, TX
5. Los Angeles, CA
6. Gaithersburg, MD
7. Silver Spring, MD
8. Arlington, TX
9. Long Beach, CA
10. Danbury, CT/ Chicago, IL
Least Diverse Cities in America
491. Huntington, WV/ Saco, ME
493. Parkersburg, WV
494. Lewiston, ID
495. Rochester, NH
496. Keene, NH
497. Barre, VT
498. Bangor, ME
499. Orem, UT
500. Brattleboro, VT
501. Provo, UT
According to Adam McCann of WalletHub, it’s important to embrace diversity – and it’s good for the economy, too. Not only have waves of immigration changed the face of the nation, they’ve also brought in fresh perspectives, skills and technologies to help the U.S. develop a strong adaptability to change. Economies generally fare better when they openly embrace and capitalize on new ideas. Conversely, those relying on old ways and specialized industries tend to be hurt more by changes in the market.
- Bloomington, Minnesota, has the highest income diversity, which is 2.3 times higher than in Camden, New Jersey, the city with the lowest.
- Oakland, California, has the highest racial and ethnic diversity, which is 3.9 times higher than in Hialeah, Florida, the city with the lowest.
- Thornton, Colorado, has the highest industry diversity, which is 2.8 times higher than in Ann Arbor, Michigan, the city with the lowest.
- Caldwell, Idaho, has the highest occupational diversity, which is three times higher than in Cambridge, Massachusetts, the city with the lowest.
To view the full report and your city’s rank, click here.
- Diversity: Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay