On Sunday, May 5, Americans en masse will reach for their favorite Mexican foods, music, and dance and celebrate Cinco De Mayo. Many will also down a shot or two of tequila or a margarita or two.
Where will you celebrate? Below you will find just a few of our favorites.
The holiday has become as much a part of the American culture as it is the American calendar. In 2005 Congress passed a resolution calling on the president to recognize the historical significance of the holiday.
The holiday has evolved over the years, specifically after a wave of Mexican immigration into the United States following the Mexican Civil War, according to U.S. News and World Report. As Mexican immigrants flooded into the American southwest, they joined in the festivities with their fellow Mexican-Americans who were already living in the United States without really knowing the story behind the holiday, and over time the date came to be a showcase of Mexican ethnic identity rather than a celebration of the battle against the invading French forces.
In an interview with the Associated Press, Jody Agius Vallejo, a sociology professor at the University of Southern California, explained the Cinco de Mayo phenomenon this way: “It’s very similar to how Irish-Americans celebrate St. Patrick’s Day,” said Vallejo. “One way they can honor their ethnicity is to celebrate this day, even when most don’t know why.”
If you will be among the Cinco de Mayo celebrants, here are some of what we consider the best places to hang out.
- Las Casuelas Nuevas, 70-050 Highway 111, Rancho Mirage.
- El Mirasol Cocina Mexicana, 140 E Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs
- Las Casuelas Terraza, 222 S Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs
- Don Diego’s of Indian Wells, 74969 Us Highway 111, Indian Wells
- Blue Coyote Grill, 445 N Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs
- La Casita Restaurant, 34272 Date Palm Drive,Cathedral City
- Tortilla’s Restaurant, 32123 Cathedral Canyon Drive, Cathedral City
- Armando’s Dakota Bar & Grill, 73260 El Paseo, Palm Desert
The list goes on.
Happy Cinco de Mayo.
- Mariachi: Pixaby