LA QUINTA — Just as LifeStream Blood Bank initiated its seventh Annual Nine Cities Challenge Blood Drive this month, the Coachella Valley felt the reality of two significant earthquakes.
It was a wake-up call that earthquakes can hit at any moment, taking a toll on life and limb.
In light of those wake-up calls, the continuing community blood shortage is of grave concern.
“We need to look no further than the July 4 and 5 earthquakes so close to home to re-emphasize the need for our community to be prepared for emergencies. We all need to have water, non-perishable food items, pet food, cash, First Aid kit, batteries, portable phone chargers and more on hand should the unexpected strike,” Dr. Rick Axelrod, LifeStream Blood Bank president/CEO and medical director, said in a prepared statement.
“But emergency preparedness also includes having an ample, safe supply of blood on hand before the next crisis strikes,” he said. “Patients here will always need blood, and an unexpected interruption in collecting blood is no excuse for them and their loved ones. Donating after an emergency is too late.”
LifeStream is working avoid the terrifying scenario the Coachella Valley could face when a strong earthquake or other natural disaster is centered close to home, and the immediate need for emergency blood supplies is very real.
The Nine Cities Challenge is meant to rally the community to ensure the Valley is prepared for emergencies. It’s up to the Coachella Valley to help its own.
As of Wednesday morning, July 17, residents in four cities have donated double-digit amounts of blood. Leading the challenge is Palm Springs with 78 donations followed by Palm Desert with 50, Coachella with 41, and Cathedral City with 19.
Donors receive a Nine Cities-themed baseball-style cap and a movie ticket unless otherwise indicated.
The Seventh Annual July 9 Cities Challenge Blood Drive locations, which takes place July 17-31 are:
• Friday, July 26, 9 am – 3 pm, Cathedral City Senior Center, 37171 W Buddy Rogers Avenue, Cathedral City, CA 92234
• Tuesday, July 30, 8:30 am – 1:30 pm, Coachella Valley Water District (CVWD), Conference/Training Room, 51501 Tyler Street, Coachella, CA 92236
Desert Hot Springs
• Thursday, July 18, 10 am – 3 pm, Desert Hot Springs Senior Center, 11777 West Drive, Game Room, Desert Hot Springs, CA 92240
• Friday, July 26, 10 am – 4 pm, Desert Hot Springs Health & Wellness Center, 11750 Cholla Drive, Community Room, Desert Hot Springs, CA 92240
• Friday, July 19, 8 am – 2 pm, Indian Wells Golf Resort, 44500 Indian Wells Lane, The Players Room, Indian Wells, CA 92210
• Saturday, July 20, 11 am – 4 pm, Indio Grand Marketplace, 82227 Highway 111, Main Walkway (West Side), Indio, CA 92201
• Thursday, July 25, 11 am – 5 pm, City of Indio Teen Center, 81678 Avenue 46, Indio Teen Center, Indio, CA 92201
• Saturday, July 27, 8:30 am – 2:30 pm, City of La Quinta Wellness Center, 78450 Avenida La Fonda, Wellness Center, La Quinta, CA 92253
• Wednesday, July 31, 10:00 am – 3:00 pm, Keller Williams, 47100 Washington Street, Suite 101, La Quinta, CA 92253
• July 1-31, 7 am – 2:30 pm daily, except Wednesdays 10:30 am to 6 pm, 79-215 Corporate Centre Drive, La Quinta, CA 92253. Simply tell LifeStream personnel what city you’re donating on behalf of.
• Sunday, July 21, 9:00 am – 1:00 pm, Our Savior’s Palm Springs*, 1020 Ramon Road, Fellowship Hall, Palm Springs, CA 92264
• Wednesday, July 24, 9:30 am – 2:30 pm, College of the Desert*, 1300 E Baristo Road, Classroom PS05, Palm Springs, CA 92262
• Wednesday, July 17, 9 am – 3 pm, Rancho Mirage Public Library, 71-100 Highway 111, Community Room, Rancho Mirage, CA 92270
• Friday, July 26, 10 am – 2 pm, Holt Architecture/Somatherapy Institute, 70-225 Highway 111, Suite B&C Classroom, Rancho Mirage, CA 92270
• Wednesday, July 31, 11 am – 4 pm, Eisenhower Health, Annenberg Center for Health Sciences, 39000 Bob Hope Drive, Dining Room, Rancho Mirage, CA 92270
* Baseball-style cap and movie ticket not available at this drive.
Walk-ins are welcome at all locations. To set an appointment, call 800-879-4484 or visit 9CitiesChallenge.com.
For additional mobile drive opportunities to assist your community during the challenge, contact LifeStream at 800-879-4484 or click here.
Donations will be tracked and posted weekly. You make check the results by clicking here.
- Earthquake: Shutterstock