To help support victims of recent mass shootings, several Walmart stores in the Coachella Valley have scheduled LifeStream blood drives this week.
At least 31 people were killed over the weekend in mass shootings in Texas and Ohio, according to CNN.
Following are the dates, times and locations:
- Walmart, 58501 Twentynine Palms Highway, Yucca Valley, Tuesday, Aug. 6 and Thursday, Aug, 8 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. both days
- Walmart, 79295 Highway 111, La Quinta, Wednesday, Aug. 7 from 8 a.m. to noon
- Walmart Neighborhood Market, 72314 Highway 111, Palm Desert, Wednesday, Aug. 7 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Walmart, 82491 Avenue 42, Indio, Friday, Aug. 9 from 8 a.m. to noon.
- Walmart, 34500 Monterey Ave., Palm Desert, Sunday, Aug. 11 from 8 a.m. to noon.
For each blood donation received at one of these Walmart locations, LifeStream will make a monetary contribution to the Gilroy Foundation, the El Paso Community Foundation and the Dayton Foundation to assist victims of recent shooting tragedies. Donors also have a chance to win LifeStream’s weekly drawing for a $2,500 cash prize, free cholesterol screening and Gift of Life Donor Loyalty points that may be redeemed in the online donor store by clicking here.
All blood types are needed to help patients; the need for type O negative is especially acute. Only 7% of U.S. residents have “universal” blood.
Healthy individuals at least 15 years of age may donate blood. Everyone under 17 years of age must provide LifeStream with written parental consent. Parent consent forms are available at any donor center, community blood drive or by clicking here. All prospective donors should be free of infections or illness, weigh at least 110 pounds, and not be at risk for AIDS or hepatitis. Donors receive a free mini-physical as part of the donation process. Donating blood takes about an hour, yet gives someone a lifetime.
For more information, please call 1-800-TRY GIVING. Join the LifeStream volunteer team to make a lifesaving difference. For information, call 1.800.879.4484, ext. 458.
- Walmart: Shutterstock