AMVETS Post 66 will hold annual Memorial Day Luncheon
CATHEDRAL CITY — For the 17th year, AMVETS Post 66 will hold its annual Memorial Day luncheon and bestow their coveted awards upon selected deserving recipients.
AMVETS announced Tuesday that this year’s awards will go to:
- Donald Beck — Silver Helmet Award
- Wendy Allaire — daughter of Col. Mitchell Paige, Medal of Honor Winner
- KGAY Radio —Business of the Year
- Holocaust survivors
- Christy Holstege —Palm Springs City Council Member, Elected Official of the Year
- Darin Schemmer —staff for County Supervisor Perez, Friend of the Veteran Award
- Sergio Carrillo —author, The Lilly March Gay rights protest in Wilmington, Calif., before Stonewall
Many of the names you might recognize. For those who aren’t familiar with Sergio Carrillo, in Stories of L.A. Harbor Area: For Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow (SOLAHA) oral history project, Carrillo reveals a story about the origin of “gay right” and march in the harbor town of Wilmington.
He reminisces about the precursor to the famous protest at Stonewall in New York and a bar in Wilmington where Red West Pizza is located today; and the “Lilly March” organized locally and LAPD involvement. It was historically significant.
He has 25 years of experience in local government and public advocacy founding his own company Carrillo Strategies, a Los Angeles based minority-owned and political consulting firm specializing in public affairs, governmental and media relations, and community engagement.
Music will be provided by Steve Petersen & JB.
The lunch will be held at Cimarron Golf Resort, 67603 30th Avenue, in Cathedral City on Monday, May 29 from noon to 2 p.m. Lunch includes chicken alfredo, dessert and beverage. There is a sliding fee scale for low-income people.
Call Tom Swann Hernandez at (760) 324-5670 for reservations. Space is limited.
- Award plaques: Shutterstock