Desert Sands Unified School District is now accepting new students into the early childhood education program. Two programs are available, Head Start and California State Preschool Program (CSPP).
Full day and part day classes are available at multiple locations. Registrations for all programs and locations are taking place on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9 a.m. to noon at the DSUSD district office, early childhood education office at 47-950 Dune Palms Road, La Quinta.
Signage will direct registrants to the office. Children do not need to be with parents for registration. Due to the current pandemic, only one adult, who must wear a mask, will be allowed in the office at one time. Fees for these programs are based on family income. Questions should be emailed to email@example.com regarding head start or firstname.lastname@example.org regarding CA State Preschool Program. Calls can also be made to 760 771-8775.
Preschool prepares children for success in kindergarten and beyond. Health screenings are a part of the program and nutritious meals and snacks are provided each day. Children with disabilities are also welcome. Teachers follow an age appropriate curriculum aligned with the California Preschool Learning Foundations and the Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework. Early childhood education supports social services needs, offers parenting classes and engaging family involvement activities.
To register new students, parents must bring the following:
- Child’s birth certificate (CSPP requires birth certificates for all children under 18 living in the same household)
- Immunization record
- Proof of residency (utility bill)
- Single parents must provide proof of single status (legal divorce or separation documents, child support information through the District Attorney’s Office, or documentation filed for child support)
- Proof of income (current, consecutive paystubs with year to date [two months], 2019 income taxes, notice of action for CalWorks recipients)
Income guidelines follow for the size of the family unit, annual income for Federal Head Start, and the California State Preschool Programs respectively.
- 1 child, $12,760, $64,120
- 2 children, $17,240, $64,120
- 3 children, $21,720, $69,620
- 4 children, $26,200, $80,623
- 5 children, $30,680, $93,522
- 6 children, $35,160, $106,422
- 7 children, $38,640, $108,841
- 8 children, $44,120, $111,259
NOTE: State law requires that families with children enrolled in a full-day California State Preschool Program (CSPP) be assessed a family fee in accordance with current law. The amount of the family fee schedule given is based on family income, family size, and family need.
- Children: Pixaby