PALM SPRINGS — In the first of its kind in the Coachella Valley, Mayor Geoff Kors on Wednesday announced the formation of the Palm Springs Business Transition and Re-Entry Task Force.
Gov. Gavin Newsom last week talked about his plans for reopening the state. He said that he has created a committee whose sole job is to develop a strategy for California to recover from the coronavirus pandemic caused recession. The committee will be chaired by Tom Steyer, and others will include the four living former California governors, Chief People Officer of Square – Jacqueline Reses, Angela Glover Blackwell from PolicyLink, and Bob Iger from the Walt Disney Company.
Kors’ panel brings together a diverse group of business, tourism and hospitality leaders from throughout Palm Springs. Its goal is to plan a safe and successful recovery once the state eases precautions related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Re-entry Task Force includes representatives of tourism and business organizations and includes the following community leaders:
- Celeste Brackley, Palm Springs Hospitality Association
- Patricia Breslin, Greater Palm Springs Bar Association
- Aftab Dada, Chairman of P.S. Resorts
- Ron de Harte, Community Leadership Council
- Jim Franklin, Palm Springs Regional Association of Realtors
- Michael Green, Palm Springs Small Hotel Tourism Business Improvement District
- Jeff Grubbe, Tribal Chairman, Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians
- Rob Hampton, General Manager, Palm Springs Convention Center and Bureau of Tourism
- Bruce Hoban, Vacation Rental Owners and Neighbors of Palm Springs,
- Palm Springs Mayor pro tem Christy Holstege
- Dean Levine, Arenas District Merchants Association
- Harold Matzner, Chairman Palm Springs International Film Festival
- Joy Meredith, Main Street Palm Springs
- David Powell, Desert Business Association,
- David H. Ready, Palm Springs City Manager
- Jay Virata, Palm Springs Director of Community & Economic Development
- Joe Wallace, CEO of the Coachella Valley Economic Partnership
- Nona Watson, CEO of the Palm Springs Chamber of Commerce
- Scott White, CEO of the Greater Palm Springs Convention & Visitors Bureau
“The goal of this Task Force is to prepare for the reopening of our economy so the Palm Springs community can successfully and safely get our businesses open and our local
economy thriving once again” Mayor Kors said in a prepared statement.
Kors added that Gov. Gavin Newsom has indicated the state’s re-entry plan will happen in phases.
“The City of Palm Springs and our business, tourism and hospitality community will get through this because we understand the importance of working together,” Kors said.
From the outset, Kors’s mantra has been, “We will get through this together.” He has never wavered.
- VillageFest: Shutterstock