COACHELLA – Rifles and thousands of rounds of ammunition were seized during a search warrant at a Coachella residence on Tuesday, Jan. 7, according to the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department.
At 2 p.m. Tuesday, the Coachella Valley Violent Crime Gang Task Force with the assistance of Riverside County Sheriff’s Department SWAT, served a firearms related search warrant in the 53000 block of Calle Bonita in Coachella. During the service of the search warrant Gang Task Force Officers seized six rifles, one revolver handgun, approximately 10,000 rounds of ammunition including armor piercing rounds, two sets of body armor, approximately 50 thirty-round AR-15 magazines, and a milling drill used in the production of rifles.
The incident remains under investigation.
Since 1997, the number of gangs in Riverside County has grown from 266 to 391, according to the Coachella Valley Violent Crime Gang Task Force. The total gang membership has grown to an astounding 10,620 members countywide. During this same time frame, there was a significant increase in gang related crimes reported by Riverside County law enforcement agencies.
Some of the warning signs your child might be involved in a gang include:
- Admits to “hanging out” with kids in gangs.
- Shows an unusual interest in one or two particular colors of clothing or a particular logo.
- The child dresses in the same color clothing every day or wears tattoos, unusual jewelry, hairstyles, or clothing that could identify a particular gang.
- Has an unusual interest in gangster-influenced music, videos, movies or websites. ¾ Uses unusual hand signals to communicate with friends.
- Comes home with unexplained physical injuries (fighting-related bruises, injuries to hands/knuckles). ¾ Has unexplained cash or goods, such as clothing or jewelry.
- The child is carrying guns, knives or other weapons.
- Has been in trouble with the police.
The Coachella Valley Violent Crime Gang Task Force is committed to creating safe and secure neighborhoods free of violent crime and gang activity. If you have any information about this crime, please contact CVVCGTF member Officer James at (760) 836-1600.
If you have non-emergency information regarding gang activity, please use the online Gang Task Force Tip Form by clicking here or call 951-922-7601.
- Rifles & Ammunition: RSO