LA QUINTA — As LifeStream Blood Bank continues its Seventh Annual Nine Cities Challenge Blood Drive that runs through July, Valley mayors are applauding the communities’ engagement in this year’s drive.
One of those Valley mayors is Indio Mayor Lupe Ramos Amith who is “challenging all residents and businesses to defend our back-to-back title” and participate in the Seventh Annual Nine Cities Challenge Blood Drive.”
“Indio won in 2015 and 2016 thanks to all Indio community members who recognized that donating blood means saving lives. Indio also won the blood drive in 2017 and 2018 – that’s a four-year winning streak. We really do seem to have an impressive title to defend,” said Mayor Ramos Amith.
La Quinta Mayor Linda Evans supports the upcoming drives in La Quinta. “Our Valley is experiencing a critical shortage of blood supply,” she said in a prepared statement. “Volunteering is what we do in La Quinta – so please donate blood during our 9 Cities Challenge on July 27 at the City of La Quinta Wellness Center.
“In addition to saving lives, blood donors also receive health benefits such as reduced stress, positive emotional well-being, and a sense of belonging to the community. La Quinta is about health and well-being – let’s come together to donate blood and help our fellow neighbors in need.”
Donors receive a Nine Cities-themed baseball-style cap and a movie ticket unless otherwise indicated.
Walk-ins are welcome at all locations. To set an appointment, call 800-879-4484 or visit 9CitiesChallenge.com.
Locations for the Seventh Annual July Nine Cities Challenge Blood Drive locations, July 23-31 are:
• Friday, July 26, 9 am – 3 pm, Cathedral City Senior Center, 37171 W Buddy Rogers Avenue, Cathedral City, CA 92234
• Tuesday, July 30, 8:30 am – 1:30 pm, Coachella Valley Water District (CVWD), Conference/Training Room, 51501 Tyler Street, Coachella, CA 92236
Desert Hot Springs
• Friday, July 26, 10 am – 4 pm, Desert Hot Springs Health & Wellness Center, 11750 Cholla Drive, Community Room, Desert Hot Springs, CA 92240
• Thursday, July 25, 11 am – 5 pm, City of Indio Teen Center, 81678 Avenue 46, Indio Teen Center, Indio, CA 92201
• Saturday, July 27, 8:30 am – 2:30 pm, City of La Quinta Wellness Center, 78450 Avenida La Fonda, Wellness Center, La Quinta, CA 92253
• Wednesday, July 31, 10:00 am – 3:00 pm, Keller Williams, 47100 Washington Street, Suite 101, La Quinta, CA 92253
• July 1-31, 7 am – 2:30 pm daily, except Wednesdays 10:30 am to 6 pm, 79-215 Corporate Centre Drive, La Quinta, CA 92253. Simply tell LifeStream personnel what city you’re donating on behalf of.
• Wednesday, July 24, 9:30 am – 2:30 pm, College of the Desert*, 1300 E Baristo Road, Classroom PS05, Palm Springs, CA 92262
• Friday, July 26, 10 am – 2 pm, Holt Architecture/Somatherapy Institute, 70-225 Highway 111, Suite B&C Classroom, Rancho Mirage, CA 92270
• Wednesday, July 31, 11 am – 4 pm, Eisenhower Health, Annenberg Center for Health Sciences, 39000 Bob Hope Drive, Dining Room, Rancho Mirage, CA 92270
* Baseball-style cap and movie ticket not available at this drive.
Donors must be at least 15 years of age (15- and 16-year-olds require a signed parental consent form; forms are available at all drives); weigh at least 110 pounds; feel well; and present photo ID. Donors should maintain their regular meal schedules and increase their fluid intake (water is best) in the 24 hours prior to donating.
In addition to the main Nine Cities’ drives, all LifeStream blood drives during July, including all businesses and organizations that organize their own drives, will count toward each city’s total. For additional mobile drive opportunities to assist your community during the challenge, contact LifeStream at 800-879-4484 or visit http://www.9CitiesChallenge.com.
Donations will be tracked and posted weekly here. Regardless of which community collects the most blood and earns the title “challenge champion,” the real winners are local patients in need and their loved ones.
The goal of the Nine Cities Challenge Blood Drive is to create a friendly competition among the valley’s cities, their workforce and residents – whereby the motivation to donate blood becomes an event with strong participation and goodwill.
- Lupe Ramos Amith: Lupe Ramos Amith
- Linda Evans: City of La Quinta
- Lifestream Nine Cities Blood Drive Challenge Cap: Lifestream
- La Quinta Blood Donation Center: LifeStream